i1Pro 2 support
DeltaE* for Android
BabelColor DeltaE* (for AndroidTM)
is a tool designed to compute color-differences using industry standard
IMPORTANT: The following screenshots may not be seen
real size. In general, Android phones and tablets have display resolutions
between 120 and 350 dpi (dots-per-inch), higher or much higher than typical
desktop and laptop computers; the sizes shown here have been scaled to match
the size of Android devices when seen on a
Windows PC display at 96 dpi. Here are 1x1 inch and 1x1 cm images to
help you judge the screenshot sizes.
You may also want to look at the
screenshots on the
(previously called the Android Market), with your actual Android device.
- Main interface on a small normal-density phone (480x320; 158
dpi; 3x2 inch; 3.65 inch (9.3 cm) diagonal)
- Main interface on a mid-size high-density phone (1280x720;
316 dpi; 4.1x2.3 inch; 4.65 inch (11.8 cm) diagonal)
- Main interface on a larger normal-density tablet (1280x800;
149 dpi, 8.6x5.4 inch; 10.1 inch (25.7 cm) diagonal)
- Threshold setting on a larger normal-density tablet
(1280x800; 149 dpi, 8.6x5.4 inch; 10.1 inch (25.7 cm) diagonal)
- Color-difference formula selection: DeltaE*
(or DE*) is first
computed with the CIELAB formula, shown below on the left; this selection cannot be
changed. The two other formulas can be selected from the following
choices in the "Settings" dialog:
- 1- CIE94 : also called CIE94(1:1)
- 2- CIE94-textile : also called CIE94(2:1)
- 3- CMC(1:1) : used for perceptibility measurements
- 4- CMC(2:1) : used for acceptability measurements,
- 5- CIEDE2000
- Data input:
- Click on any L*, a*, b*, C*, or h* data field to
select it for data entry. You can also use the Tab key (->) to move from
one field to the other; hold down to move continuously.
- Enter data as in a calculator using the display keys.
Use the backspace to erase the last input; hold down to erase many
entries. Click Clear (C) to erase a field; do a Long Click on Clear to
erase ALL fields. You can also do a Long Click on a field to erase it.
- When you enter data in a* or b*, the C* and h* data
fields are updated. Similarly, a* and b* are updated when you change the
C* or h* values.
- You can change the number of decimals used for data
entry and computation in the "Settings" dialog.
- CIE94 / CMC options: For these formulas, you
can select if the Reference is either the first sample (S1), or
the mean of the two samples (S1 and S2). These options are selected in
the "Settings" dialog
- Select "Ref: S1; Sample: S2" for Quality Control type
- Select "Ref: Mean of S1 and S2" when none of the
colors has more importance than the other.
- To swap S1 and S2, just swipe your finger
vertically on the color patches. By doing this, you can see the effect
of selecting one color or the other when "Ref: S1; Sample: S2" is
selected for the CIE94 or CMC formulas.
- RGB display space:
- The L*a*b* data is converted to RGB for display
- The sRGB space is assumed. RGB values are shown
near the color patches.
- The clipped coordinates of out-of gamut colors
are flagged; for example, RED is clipped in the bottom patch shown
- You can select the Illuminant assigned to the
L*a*b* data in the "Settings" dialog.
- A Relative-Colorimetric transform is performed
between the Illuminant and D65, the sRGB White Point.
- Delta thresholds:
- You can select individual LOW and HIGH thresholds for
and DH* values in the
"Settings" dialog. These thresholds affect the background color of the
delta data fields, a useful feature for Quality Control purposes.
- Deltas between 0 and LOW are shown in green. Deltas
between LOW and HIGH are shown in yellow. Deltas higher than HIGH are
shown in red.
- Thresholds dialog input:
- First select/check the delta thresholds you want to
set. Click the "All" checkbox to select or unselect all checkboxes.
- Select either the "High" or "Low" radio button.
- Click on the arrows to increment or decrement the
thresholds of the selected delta(s). Press and hold an arrow to change
by a larger amount.
- Do a Long Click on a LOW or HIGH data field to reset
it. Click on the "Reset" button to reset all thresholds.
- The small star ( *
) located below one of the
output fields indicates which formula was used to compute
and DH*. In the CIE94,
CMC, and CIEDE2000 formulas, these differences are weighted to provide
more accurate results. When you click on a DE*
output field, the DL*,
and DH* values are
shown either weighted or unweigthted. CIELAB is always unweighted and
the other formulas are always weighted (the weighted values change with
the specific formula)
- 2 samples
- Enter L*a*b* or L*C*h* data
- Color-difference formulas:
- CIE94(2:1), also called CIE94-textile
- CMC(1:1), for perceptibility measurements
- CMC(2:1), for acceptability measurements, i.e.
- Computed data:
- DeltaE* (shown as DE*),
- DeltaE* is shown simultaneously for three formulas,
where two of the formulas are user-selectable. The first formula is
CIELAB, and cannot be changed.
- Weighted or unweighted values of
DH* for the CIE94, CMC,
and CIEDE2000 formulas.
- RGB coordinates of each sample in the sRGB space,
with an indication of which coordinate(s) is/are clipped, when
- Reference modes for the CIE94 and CMC formulas:
- The Reference is the first sample OR
- the Reference is the Mean of the two samples
- Other features:
- Assign individual HIGH and LOW thresholds to
DH*. These thresholds
affect the background color of the delta data fields.
- Select the Illuminant assigned to the L*a*b* data,
which is then used to compute the sRGB patches; a Relative-Colorimetric
transform is performed between the Illuminant and D65, the sRGB space
- Select the decimal precision (1, 2, or 3 decimals).
- Select between a "telephone" or "calculator" layout
for the built-in keypad (used for larger display size devices).
- Interface languages: English, French
- Supports AndroidTM phones and tablets.
- Android OS: V2.2 (Froyo) to V4.1 (Jelly
- Requires a touch-screen for data input.
- Display layout: landscape only
- Uses the Google Licensing System.
- Display size: Typical minimum: 480x320 at 160 dpi. IMPORTANT: Usability depends on the
display size and resolution.
Although multiple interface layouts are used by the program and resized for the
actual device, there may be devices for which the resulting interface is
not optimal. Please inform us so that we can improve the product.
Purchase is done exclusively on the
(previously called the Android Market).
here or on this button to go directly to the DeltaE*
page on Google play: